Monday, August 24, 2009

When I was little...

My mother taught me almost everyhting I needed to know to be a good homemaker. She taught me how to make a pizza from scratch, how to tease hair, how to clean a bathroom til it was spic and span. Sewing, however was one area in which she had no skill. So, in order to perfect my instruction, she brought in the Big Guns. A phonecall was made to grandma and, at the tender age of... about 12, my mother started taking me to my grandma's house once a week for "Home Ec" class. Grandma taught me to knit, patiently looking over my shoulder as I dropped stitch after stitch. Then she taught me to sew. We made one dress together - from the cutting to the hemming, and I was so proud of myself when we were done with it. We were in the middle of a second sewing project when Grandma passed away. I finished that dress by myself a couple of years later. I had to relearn a few things from books, and I have learned all new things along the way. I wonder what grandma would think of the projects I'm doing now.

Everytime I sew or knit, I think of her...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...